POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Viruses : Re: Viruses Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Viruses
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Aug 2008 11:17:53
Message: <48971da1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Reinstalling is probably simpler than following a tricky sequence of
>> registry edits and hoping that you don't accidentally break your PC and
>> that all traces of the virus are actually gone...
>
> What registry edits? All you had to do to prevent the reboot was to go to
> the command line and type "shutdown -a" (or go the control panel and perform
> a similar task). It took a couple of seconds and the trick was explained on
> every AV site.

That stops the machine rebooting, but it still doesn't remove the virus.

Personally, I just assumed that "fatal system error" means that there's
no way to prevent the system from being rebooted. I don't recall the
McAfee site containing any instructions on how to prevent this, or even
suggestion that it is *possible* to prevent this. Oh dear, I must be a
really stupid n00b for not knowing something so "obvious". Get off my case!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/